Wednesday 17 April 2013

Chocolate & Banana Cake

When I really got into big celebration cakes a few weeks back I offered to make a cake for a birthday my brother was attending. I needed an excuse to practise without having the need to eat any hahaha! I surprised myself with how this cake turned out. Very proud moment, although I think the rose does need a little more colour!


Since this was an 18th birthday cake, I spiked the buttercream with a little Baileys. But the recipe below is without. Just add enough to your own taste, because who doesn't love a bit of birthday Baileys!










Recipe:
225g plain flour
350g caster sugar
60g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
2 eggs
250ml milk
120ml veg oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
250ml boiling water
2 tbsp nutella

1. Mix cocoa powder, nutella and boiling water in a small bowl.
2. Using traditional method, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl except the baking and bicarb.
3. Add chocolate mix, baking and bicarb to mix.
4. Beat well together.
5. Dived between 2 greased 23cm tins or one large heart shape, bake at 180 Celsius for 20 mins if mixture halved. 40 mins otherwise.

6. Pipe buttercream to form a wall.
7. Melt nutella and spread evenly within walls.
8. Lay fresh bananas on top and cover with cake layer.
9. Dirty ice cake and leave to cool.

10. Once cooled, melt 3 tbsp nutella and put into pipping bag.
11. With a gently swiping movement, drag down for a melted chocolate look.
12. To create the rose, use a small starter ball of cake mix squished together.
13. Pipe around beginning from the inside out to form petals.

Until Next Time xo

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks super delicious! I love bananas and choclate and bailys :D
    YUMMY!!!!

    :*, Nina
    www.my-style-diary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete